Dreaming of playing bass when you grow up?
You better be and if so you're ahead of so many. Let's face it. Who woke up and wanted to be a bass player when they grew up? Sure, you dedicated players will say you did but a strange reality to face is many arrive to the bass out of necessity. Heck, even Victor Wooten was prepped to be a Bass player by his older brother Regi because the family band needed a low-ender. No one else wanted to do it. 5 Grammys later Victor, although a multi-instrumentalist has found his passion with bass.
So, is bass some BIG SECRET? Some "diamond in the rough" and lost treasure that once you realize what it is, you'll be hard pressed to turn away? YOU BET IT IS!
The bass is truly a unique instrument and plays a role all on it's own. You can have multiple guitars, singers, guitarists, keys and even drummers! When's the last time you saw a band on stage with more than one bass? You don't too often do you? =)
The low-end holds a unique chair within music, a rudder moving this big ship along. Like a foundation, not often viewable, or appreciated, rarely marveled at but seriously missed if something is wrong and major structural concerns emerge if it's not just right.
Bass influences, steers, guides, moves along and plays a critical delivery role within music. This responsibility doesn't have to be difficult but it has to be consistent. Though playing the bass isn't necessarily complicated it sure can be and becomes exponentially more intricate the more difficult the music becomes.
The responsibilities of the low-end are an honor to hold regardless the level of complexity and I urge all players to ponder the reality of the crucial role of bass and it's addition to your music. When looking for a bass player, players that possess a know-how of the role of bass as well as the chops should fit you nicely. Make sure you understand the role of bass as much as you pursue the ability to play.
TOP 9.5 Reasons To Play Bass
1) Good bass players are hard to find. Be a good bass player and find a lot of opportunities to play!
2) Learning the basics is not only fun, but easy.
3) High demand Instrument for real paying gigs.
4) You get to explore musicality in ways no other instrument does.
5) Bass players have less gear than drummers.
6) Bass Players can explore both guitar frequencies and still have their lows.
7) Changing genres of music on bass is typically easy compared to other instruments.
8) Bass playing can sound great simple, and even better with more knowledge of bass.
9) Bass isn't about how fast you play, it's about what you play.
.5) It's the coolest instrument. Period! =)